Aims, Objectives and Activities
The Ethical Journalism Network (EJN) is an international network of media professionals created to advance education, particularly education in ethics and respect for human rights.
It is founded in the underlying belief that ethics and respect for human rights, particularly freedom of expression, is a core element of democracy. Intrinsic to this is an independent, pluralist media sector rooted in respect for human rights and where journalists work freely is essential for a democratic society.
The EJN aims to advance education in and around the principles of ethical journalism, for example, education in ethics and human rights.
All materials will be freely available for the benefit of users and journalists in order to strengthen and support journalism on all platforms throughout the world.
The EJN is an independent body with no political affiliations or ideological aims. With this in mind the Ethical Journalism Network is registered as a Charity and limited liability company in the United Kingdom with the following objective:
To promote for the public benefit high ethical standards in journalism, based on principles of truth and accuracy, independence, fairness and impartiality, humanity and accountability by the provision of education and training of journalists and the publication of useful research.
In order to further the above objective, the EJN carries out activities and programmes:
- To advance the education, skills and competence of people engaged in all forms of journalistic work at all levels of media and across all platforms of media throughout the world;
- To raise awareness among journalists and media professionals through education of the importance of ethics, human rights and good governance in the exercise of journalism and the administration of news media;
- To encourage dialogue between journalists, media and others on the value of informed, ethical journalism in advancing human rights, conflict resolution and promotion of racial tolerance, equality and diversity;
- To strengthen through education the capacity of media professional groups in their promotion of ethical standards and good governance in the monitoring and supervision of journalism.
In pursuit of these activities the EJN shall, in all aspects of its work:
- Promote respect for the status of journalism by enhancing levels of skill and knowledge of ethical principles within media, particularly through training and education of journalists, media managers and owners;
- Prepare reports on the current ethical challenges and governance issues affecting journalists and their work, through information sharing; country missions; targeted research; and distribution of reports and materials on matters of contemporary concern to journalists and media professionals which will be freely available to all;
- Strengthen co-operation between media professional groups at national, regional and international level and to work, as appropriate, with other relevant governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental organisations in this regard;
- Organise and encourage educational activities and knowledge exchanges between the media community and civil society on the EJN and its work.