Muslims in the media:
Towards more tolerance and diversity
This report was written and edited by the Ethical Journalism Network’s Aidan White in 2018 to investigate the ways in which Muslims are portrayed in the media across Europe. It investigates how media report on topics where the problem of anti-Muslim bias often arises, particularly migration and terrorism. The aims of the investigation are to establish the prevalence and nature of bias and to look at what is being done and can be done in the future to counter negative narratives.
The report was commissioned in partnership with the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights (ODIHR) of the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). The countries included are Austria, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Turkey and the United Kingdom.
Muslims in the Media: Towards More Tolerance and Diversity
© 2019 Ethical Journalism Network
11 Vicarage Road, London, E15 4HD United Kingdom
No part of this publication may be reproduced in any form without the written permission of the publisher. The contents of this book are covered by authors’ rights and further use of the contributions will be granted after consultation with the Editor under the conditions of Creative Commons.
Previous EJN publications include:
- Censorship in the park: Turkish media trapped by politics and corruption (2013)
- Innocent mistakes: A controversial film finds journalism caught between image and reality (2013)
- Hate speech: A five-point test for journalists (2014)
- Untold stories: How corruption and conflicts of interest stalk the newsroom (2015)
- The trust factor: An EJN review of journalism and self-regulation (2015)
- Moving stories: International review of how media cover migration (2015)
- Ethics in the News: EJN report on challenges for journalism in the “post-truth” era (2017)
- Trust in ethical journalism: The key to media futures (2018)
- ‘Saving the News: Ethics and the Fight for the Future of Journalism’ (2019)
For all of our previous reports see: https://ethicaljournalismnetwork.org/resources/publications